Fag Hags

Friday night after class I was standing around with my brother and our friends Thien (gay) and Molly (lesbian) when we got on the subject of fag hags aka fruit flies. Ben had never heard the term so I explained to him that they are [desperate] women who latch onto gay guys. Molly then said how she hates when she sees how straight women act differently when they're around gay guys, they start talking like them and act in a way they never would around straight men, or even in many cases their female friends. I knew what she was talking about because it's a peeve of mine as well, but then I came to a realization. Often straight women can be who they want to around gay men without fear of judgment. Society decides the difference between a lady and a slut. I myself have faced judgment from female friends when I talk to them about relationships, sex, etc. Most openly gay men have already shed their fear of sexual societal stigmas and because of this, they can be less quick to judge should the topic of sex arise. For example, if I was to tell a female friend a kinky fantasy of mine it would probably be met with "ewwww" or "TMI!!" whereas if I was to tell Thien or one of my other gay friends it would probably be met with "You dirty little slut I love it!!" The topic of sex with many gays is, in my experience, met with a lightheartedness, whereas with many straight people it's all about norms and taboos. I don't really know where I'm going with this but I just thought it was interesting I suppose...

0 comments: